We had a great foundation class last week, with 13 student for 6 days. It was the first foundation class of the year, and a wonderful way to start the new school year.
Here is the last post about the canoe I built last year, it does’t have much written information, but I at least wanted to show some pictures of the finished product.
It’s funny how writing about a project can sometimes take longer then building it. 🙂
After sanding the epoxy on the inside and outside for the last time, I began making the gunnels. The gunnels add a nice touch to a canoe, but the main purpose is to strengthen the thin 1/4” sides. For the inside gunnels, I glued ash and mahogany strips together and spliced them to get the 17’ I needed. I used a router to create the scuppers, before gluing them in place. After I glued and clamped the inside gunnels I made the outwales and decks using mahogany and ash. I ordered the seats from a company in Canada.
When the finish-out was complete; gunnels, decks, thwart, seats, and brass wear strips I began the final step of varnishing. One thing I learned when varnishing, was make sure you wipe down the epoxy with a wet cloth before varnishing. Apparently the epoxy leaves a residue which doesn’t allow the varnish to dry properly and must be wiped away before applying the vanish. (I leaned that the hard way).